problem using sudo on nis environment

donald.ritchey at exeloncorp.com donald.ritchey at exeloncorp.com
Thu Jul 24 15:39:26 EDT 2003

Check your settings on the /etc/exports file for NFS.  The default setting
of most NFS servers is to map the root user ID to 'nobody:nogroup' on the
client to prevent remote attacks on the server through the client's access
to shared file systems.  In this case, even though you are root on the
client, the access given by the NFS server to the underlying file system is
that of an unprivileged user, so root on the client cannot access files on
the shared file system that are protected by permission settings.

You choices are:
	1.  To selectively enable root access on a per-client basis by
adding
	 "-root=client1,client2,..." to the export lines at issue.
	2.  Globally enable root access to all clients with '-root=0'.
	3.  Figure out a different access method to do what you want to do.

Note that choices 1 or 2 have distinct security risks associated with them.
Be careful with how you implement any remote root access strategies, since
these can now become avenues for attack for a remote assault on your NFS
file server.

Good luck,

Don

Donald L. (Don) Ritchey