[sudo-users] Ldap Groups

Huibert.Kivits at mail.ing.nl Huibert.Kivits at mail.ing.nl
Thu Apr 28 05:25:39 EDT 2005

Yes, indeed.

Dave created an entry for a group in LDAP, under which he added subentries for users.
However, users should not be added as a subentry to the group. You should do something like the following:
- select the group you want to add a user to.
- add a new attribute to this group, i.e. the attribute "memberUid"
- you now have to enter a value for this attribute. Enter the name of the username. The common name "johndoe" is sufficient. There is no need to enter the distinguished name (dn=johndoe,ou=... Etcetera).
- you can add multiple users to a group by adding the memberUid-attribute multiple times.
- This way, you can authorize a group for the sudo, instead of individual users.

Managing SUDO-authorizations from within LDAP does not require that users exist in LDAP. This applies both to the user under which the sudo runs (the value of the sudoRunas-attribute) and to the userid's that use SUDO. It is perfectly possible for a local user to use SUDO-authorizations that are managed via LDAP.

Met vriendelijke groeten / With kind regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Med vänliga hälsningar / nuosirdziausi linkejimai,

Huibert Kivits