[sudo-users] sudo central management

donald.ritchey at exeloncorp.com donald.ritchey at exeloncorp.com
Thu Dec 15 12:12:57 EST 2005

Our implementation of sudo uses one sudoers file that is distributed by
rsync over ssh (using Public/Private key pairs).

We have grouped our machines, users, and applications into classes and
use the Host_Alias and Cmnd_Alias lines to set up the groups of systems
and applications, then setup user IDs and UNIX groups to allocate the
low-level permissions.  It results in a fairly large and visually
complicated sudoers file, but it is the only method I can come up with
to manage the 50 or so UNIX servers that we control.

Luckily, most of our applications run on limited sets of servers and
the applications run under their own application-specific user IDs,
so the mapping of permissions is fairly cut and dried.

The complicators are the administrative and maintenance users that have
to have extra permissions on certain servers, but not others.  This results
in more sudoers entries than I would like, but it is still manageable.

The implementation is largely based on the example sudoers files in the
sudo package, so the documentation that comes with sudo is a good starting
point for customized sudoers files.  I am looking forward to an upcoming
implementation of LDAP within our environment to eliminate the need for
distributing a local sudoers file (other than a fail-safe version for
emergency use).

Best of luck and thanks to all who have contributed to making sudo such
a good product.

Donald L. (Don) Ritchey
Information Technology
Exelon Corporation