[sudo-users] sudo in crontab

Huibert.Kivits at mail.ing.nl Huibert.Kivits at mail.ing.nl
Wed May 18 12:32:50 EDT 2005

Hi Tran-Huu,

We experienced something similar on Solaris systems. Not on AIX, BTW.

The error message might not be related to sudo itself. But to cron.

AFAIK, if you create a crontab for a user on a Solaris systems, a message will be sent to console when the cronjob is invoked. The user must have rights to write to console.
On a Solaris system, you can add the user to the group tty.
Alternatively, you redirect the message to a file. Something like this:

1 1 * *  0  /opt/bin/sudo  XXX.sh  >/dev/null 2>/dev/null

Met vriendelijke groeten / With kind regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Med vänliga hälsningar / nuosirdziausi linkejimai,

Huibert Kivits

"...all too often, when organizations develop information security programs, they treat security issues as a simple 'check-box' on the list of required corporate functions."
Richard Forno & Kenneth R van Wyk, "Incident Response", O'Reilly, 2001, ISBN: 0-596-00130-4