[sudo-users] Strange behavior when execute bit is missing

Josef Wolf jw at raven.inka.de
Fri Apr 21 06:14:53 EDT 2006

Hello!

I have the following line in /etc/sudoers:

  naclt ALL = NOPASSWD: /usr/local/bin/naclient

This (perl) script is meant to be executed from a different host's crontab
via

  ssh -i foobar naclt at host.do.main sudo /usr/local/bin/naclient parameters

By accident, I have installed /usr/local/bin/naclient with mode 600 instead
of mode 700.  With this, sudo hangs waiting for the password, effectively
ignoring my NOPASSWD: setting.  Since this was executed from cron, I had
lots of hanging processes.

I would have expected something like "No permission" error if the target
user (root in this case) don't have sufficient permissions to execute the
program.

BTW: this is sudo-1.6.8p7 on debian sarge.