[sudo-users] Same U/N - different UID's -- trying to use sudo in scripts across subnets.

Peter Farrell peter.d.farrell at gmail.com
Tue Dec 19 10:53:14 EST 2006

Hi.

I'm trying to get my nagios user to run an AMANDA 'amcheck' command
via a python check script.

Works fine on the backup server.
Will not work across the network. (It always prompts for the password)

The only difference is that the usernames are the same (nagios) but
their UID's (calling sudo) on each server are different.

I used this on the target server:
nagios ALL=NOPASSWD:ALL

*couldn't figure out how to use 'NOPASSWD' and a specific command (in
this case 'amcheck' - didn't know if because it is an SUID file that
that would pose a problem.)

all FC4 / sudo-1.6.8p8-2.2

My question to the list is two-fold:

1. Am I correct in the reason that it won't work?
2. Is there a work-around? (Aside from changing the UID's on both
servers to match?)

-thank you.

-Peter