[sudo-users] Disabling sudo 1.6.8 on Solaris 9; upgrading to latest version?

Russell Van Tassell russell+sudo-users at loosenut.com
Fri Jul 20 13:11:51 EDT 2007

On Fri, Jul 20, 2007 at 09:41:22AM -0400, Ralf Wiegand wrote:
> I have several Solaris 9 boxes.  All of them have sudo installed
> (compiled from source).  The version are from 1.6.7p5 to 1.6.8.
>
> Q1)  How do I properly disable sudo if I needed to?

Depends on how you installed it... chances are, "just stop using it" or
remove the sudoers file (it'll just complain if you try to run it).  If
you pkgadd'd it, you should be able to pkgrm it (YMMV).

> Q2) upgrading to latest version?  Any issues when upgrading from an
> older version?

I've never had a problem on Solaris (or other platforms, for that
matter).

> Q3) Is there a way to preserve your current sudoers config file?

The "make install" shouldn't overwrite it if it already exists (to the
best of my knowledge).  My tendancy was to compile and package it on one
box (in to Solaris package format), and then deploy it out to everything
else... the package having a postinstall that only installs the sample
config if another one doesn't already exist.

--
Russell M. Van Tassell
russell at loosenut.com

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of
 five."                                                   - Groucho Marx