[sudo-users] Distributed sudoers updates

jifan sun sunjifan at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 14 09:55:10 EST 2008

Our install has HP-UX and Solaris both of which place the sudoers file in a different
directory that /etc. The install script I wrote, has a case statement for OS type, once that is know,
create a symbol link to where the sudoers file is, and /etc. We also create a symbolic link from sudo & visudo to a directory in our standard PATH. Our install base is roughly 2k systems, and we've not encountered any issues with this method.

Solaris:
ll /etc/sudoers  /usr/bin/visudo /usr/bin/sudo
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     other         22 Aug 24 14:51 /etc/sudoers -> /usr/local/etc/sudoers
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     other         19 Nov 16  2006 /usr/bin/sudo -> /usr/local/bin/sudo
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     other         22 Aug 24 14:51 /usr/bin/visudo -> /usr/local/sbin/visudo

HP-UX
ll /etc/sudoers  /usr/sbin/visudo /usr/bin/sudo
lrwxr-xr-x   1 root       sys             30 Jan 25 14:26 /etc/sudoers -> /opt/iexpress/sudo/etc/sudoers
lrwxr-xr-x   1 root       sys             27 Jan 25 14:26 /usr/bin/sudo -> /opt/iexpress/sudo/bin/sudo
lrwxr-xr-x   1 root       sys             30 Jan 25 14:26 /usr/sbin/visudo -> /opt/iexpress/sudo/sbin/visudo