[sudo-users] Difficulty with /sbin in PATH

Russell Van Tassell russell+sudo-users at loosenut.com
Tue Feb 19 19:17:03 EST 2008

On Tue, Feb 19, 2008 at 08:40:07PM -0300, Andreas Hasenack wrote:
> It works if I do this:
>
> $ export PATH=/sbin:$PATH
> $ sudo chkconfig ldap on <---- now it works

Just an "old school" manner of thinking here, for what it is worth
(arguably, probably nothing)... but things that live in /sbin are "best"
executed using an absolute path, IMO (since those things tend to need or
run with elevated privileges, it's best that users are conditioned to
use the absolute path so that something else isn't accidently "caught"
in a user's path or the like).

I know... that really doesn't help with the *technical* side of this
issue at all, and doesn't mean that something here still isn't broken...
just the smart-alec side of me said "it's not broken, it's a feature!"

*laugh*

(...also, as another aside, it looks (from above) as part of the problem
might be with your shell not properly exporting PATH, not sudo?)

--
Russell M. Van Tassell
russell at loosenut.com

If the world was a logical place, men would ride horses sidesaddle.