[sudo-users] sudo delays due to stdin/stdout

Holger.vanKoll at swisscom.com Holger.vanKoll at swisscom.com
Fri Aug 28 03:26:10 MDT 2015

Hello,

I am debugging the problem that my sudo commands take long to execute.

A simple sudo -l takes about 1 second (for every user, local or LDAP).

But a

time sudo -l > tmpfile |tee

executes immediately (time-command outputs "real    0m0.02s").

If I change anything on this command (remove the time command, remove > tmpfile redirection or remove "| tee") the execution time increases to 1 second.
It seems to be related to stdin/stdout/stderr handling.

I heard about sudo delays due to closing of file descriptiors and tried the -C flag, but that only lets me close FD greater than 3.

sudo is 1.8.1p2
I updated sudo on a testsystem to 1.8.11p2 , but that did not make any difference.

Are there any known issues regarding this?

Regs, Holger