[sudo-users] How to elevate privileges to give user sudo access

Matthew.Stier at fujitsu.com Matthew.Stier at fujitsu.com
Wed Jun 21 13:58:07 MDT 2023

Why not 'sudo -I' ?

-----Original Message-----
From: sudo-users <sudo-users-bounces at sudo.ws> On Behalf Of Todd C. Miller via sudo-users
Sent: Wednesday, June 21, 2023 2:48 PM
To: Tony Senatore <Tony.Senatore at kyndryl.com>
Cc: sudo-users at sudo.ws
Subject: Re: [sudo-users] How to elevate privileges to give user sudo access

On Wed, 21 Jun 2023 11:49:35 -0000, Tony Senatore via sudo-users wrote:

> We are running AIX on this server with an GKLM. we are trying to
> install AIX patches and one user who is new tried sudo su - and
> receives this msg
>
> This is the error
> 'sorry, msslp is not allowed to excute '/usr/bin/ksh' as root on
> sklmxxxx
>
> How do we elevate priv for her id so she can access sudo su -

I'm not familiar with GKLM but this should just be a matter of running the visudo command as root and adding a rule to the /etc/sudoers file that allows access.

However, I'm a little surprised that /usr/bin/ksh is being rejected when the user runs /usr/bin/su.  I would not expect that to happen unless you have the enabled the "intercept" option in sudoers.