help with manual sections

Todd C. Miller Todd.Miller at courtesan.com
Fri Mar 24 14:38:44 EST 2000

With sudo 1.6.3 I finally added support for substituting the correct
manual sections in the man pages.  For BSD systems, sudo and visudo
are in section 8 and sudoers is in section 5.  For SYSV systems,
sudo and visudo are in section 1m and sudoers is in section 4.

Now, I could use some help in filling in the blanks.  The default
is to use BSD-style sections.  Currently, the following system types
(as reported by config.guess) will use SYSV style sections.  If
anyone can add to this list or offer corrections, that would be great.

    *-*-solaris2*
    *-*-hiuxmpp*
    *-*-hpux*
    *-*-irix*
    *-*-riscos*
    *-*-isc*
    *-*-sco*
    *-*-sysv*

Digital UNIX (now Tru64 UNIX) is a bit different.  It uses section
8 for superuser/maintenance commands (BSD-style) but section 4 for
file formats (SYSV-style).