Irix 6.5.11 with CPU IP19 and IP22

Alek O. Komarnitsky (N-CSC) alek at ast.lmco.com
Mon Jul 9 10:17:29 EDT 2001

> From: Uwe Schmidt <Uwe.Schmidt at volkswagen.de>
> Subject: Irix 6.5.11 with CPU IP19 and IP22
> To: sudo-workers at courtesan.com
>
> Dear colleague,
>
> with SGI's Irix 6.5.11 sudo works fine if new cpus (IP27 or higher) are
> used. With old processors (IP19 and IP22) I always got the message
> ".../bin/sudo: Program not supported by architecture".
>
> Compiling with gcc (Version 2.95.2) at such a system doesn't help.
>
> Have you got any idea how I can solve the problem?
>
> Best Regards, Uwe Schmidt

In my (limited) experience with SGI platforms, it appears that
newer hardware generates code with instructions for the newer chips;
and therefore doesn't run on older platforms. You can either compile
on the older platforms (which should be upwards compatible) or add a
"-mips1" option to the Makefile so that code for the newer chips
isn't generated.

alek