[sudo-workers] caching sudo ldap queries

Tom Judge tom at tomjudge.com
Fri Jun 23 12:58:41 EDT 2006

Hi Rob,

The patch to ldap.c was submitted by me.  I have no idea how sudo would
handle finding more than one defaults object, in theory it should bail
out at that point and ignore all entries called defaults if not ignore
all ldap entries.  I patched defaults because I wanted to file the entry
in a sub section of my ldap tree with the default privileges for all
users on all systems on my site.  I guess there are good pros and cons
to a sub tree search at this point.  Maybe the configuration file should
store whether to perform a sub tree or one level search for these 2
searches independently.

As for your cache issue, there are 2 solutions available to improve the
performance of you ldap servers without modifying sudo:

1) The very complex way,  would be to install a local ldap server on
each box,  not my idea of fun, or a good idea imho.

2) If you are using openldap there is a caching overlay that you could
use to improve the performance of regular searches on the tree.

Tom