[sudo-workers] Building sudo manual pages

Todd C. Miller Todd.Miller at sudo.ws
Sat Jun 13 05:37:23 MDT 2020

On Sat, 13 Jun 2020 12:57:43 +0200, "Michael Kerrisk (man7.org)" wrote:

> But what I hope to see is the section name as a suffix of the
> filename. Thus, I expect to see a file "sudo.8" rather than
> "sudo.mdoc. I presume there's a way of doing that, but so far I did
> not spot it.[2]

I think you'll need to install the docs into a DESTDIR to get the
suffixes you expect.  The reason for this is that the man sections
differ based on the platform.  For example, while Linux follows the
BSD convention of admin commands being in section 8 and file formats
in section 5, SystemV-derived systems put admin commands in section
1m and file formats in section 4.

You could do something like this:

./configure
mkdir destdir
make -C doc DESTDIR=`pwd`/destdir INSTALL_OWNER= install-doc

and then install the man pages from destdir/usr/local/man