[sudo-users] sudo crontab -e gives me ED instead of vi

Todd C. Miller Todd.Miller at courtesan.com
Tue Jan 29 11:58:17 EST 2008

In message <6C2B32F89382AF42875672B6F5BEB6820522B48C at MERCMBX07.na.sas.com>
	so spake "Galen Johnson" (Galen.Johnson):

> We had a similar issue primarily with solaris containers (normal
> installs of sol 10 seemed unaffected).  We had to set the env_reset to
> false in our config file...the more interesting problem we've run into
> is an interaction with sudo and su.  We have a postgres startup script
> that exports the LD_LIBRARY_PATH as part of the script yet the su
> command within it fails to pick up the setting.

The dynamic loader will clear LD_LIBRARY_PATH for setuid executables
like su and sudo so I'm not surprised that the command being run
via su doesn't see it.

The reason that EDITOR and VISUAL are not preserved by default is
that they effectively allow a user to run arbitrary commands through
things like crontab.  I cannot speculate as to why Solaris still
uses ed as the default editor though :-)