[sudo-users] Always parse error (except for empty sudoers)

Todd C. Miller Todd.Miller at courtesan.com
Thu Jun 25 08:41:56 EDT 2009

In message <4A4299F8.8090508 at stud4.tuwien.ac.at>
	so spake josef schmid (e9427749):

> After compiling sudo (v1.7.1 & also v1.7.2b3 tested)
> sudo and visudo -scf <file> always results in a
> syntax/parse error.
>
> This problem occur for:
> a) the sudoers file in the package      (=> line 3)
> b) with only the following line as content: root    ALL=(ALL) ALL
>                                          (=> line 0)
> c) For a file with only comments        (=> line 3 if more than 3lines)
> d) for everything else, except empty file
>
> For HP-UX B.11.00, gcc v3.0.4, Flex v2.5.4, bison v1.875)

Are you using the pre-generated parser that comes with sudo or are
you regenerating it with your own bison and flex?  Unless you passed
configure --with-devel sudo will use the prebuild parser which
should work fine.  I've run into problems with different versions
of flex on some systems, resulting in behavior like what you report
above.